- Over 100 families assisted in Cartons for Christmas OutreachPosted 3 days ago
- 2015 Winter LinkPosted 3 days ago
- Cadets win second consecutive Barnard TourneyPosted 3 days ago
- Public hearing Feb. 5 on Route 531/Washington Street terminus improvementsPosted 1 week ago
- Brockport CSD holds public hearing on Veterans’ Tax Exemption Jan. 27Posted 1 week ago
- Artwork from Parma Public Library’s adult art programs on displayPosted 1 week ago
- Brockport’s “Evening of Jazz” on Feb. 6Posted 1 week ago
- Sweden Town Park outdoor ice rink is openPosted 1 week ago
- Can you help solve these mysteries?Posted 2 weeks ago
- Spencerport Area Chamber of Commerce announces 2014 Award WinnersPosted 3 weeks ago
Churchville-Riga C of C honors award winners Mar. 13
The Greater Churchville-Riga Chamber of Commerce announced the winners of its 2013 community awards, which will be presented at its annual dinner on Thursday, March 13 at Naughton’s Johnson House. Dinner will be served at 7 p.m. following social time commencing at 6:30 p.m.
Linda Burlingame was nominated by Meghan Lodge and Stacy Stanton and will be recognized as the Citizen of the Year at the annual dinner. “Linda has been involved with the Lions Club for many years…is a member of and volunteers much of her time at the United Congregational Church, where she is also a member of the choir…is a board member of the BOCES Special Education Advisory Council…and has been extremely active in Special Olympics for over 20 years,” stated the nomination by Lodge and Stanton. The two nominators added, “While volunteering her time, Linda has also opened her home to many children with special needs, a few of whom have lived with her for over 20 years. She is a true inspiration and a woman who gives her whole life to helping others and always does it with a smile.”
Wendy and Andrew Catalina, owners of Babe’s Hair and Tanning Salon, will be receiving the Business Persons of the Year honor. Margaret Smith, one of many nominators of Babe’s, stated in her nomination that Ms. Catalina’s passion to serve the people and community is inspirational, going above and beyond for clients and community. Echoing that sentiment, Laura Bestehorn said in her nomination, “She always tries to do her best to make sure her business is an enhancement to the Village.”
Receiving the award for Civic Beautification is the Union Congregational United Church of Christ. The church was nominated by Al Cullen for the addition of a new office building and garden areas. In his nomination he said the changes have been a visual improvement to the Town of Riga and the Village of Churchville. He added that a number of volunteers have continued to work hard to keep the grounds and building one that the community can enjoy and be proud of.
This year the Chamber of Commerce is recognizing Mary Torcello as the Chamber Member of the Year. Ms. Torcello has been a great help for a number of years on aspects of the Annual Awards Dinner and the Youth Hall of Fame. Both chamber events have cast the chamber in a better light because of her involvement.
Tickets for the dinner are $25 per person and may be purchased at the Riga Town offices, Churchville Village offices and Naughton’s Johnson House. The deadline to purchase tickets is Friday, March 7. No tickets will be available at the door.