- “Out of the Ashes” – Marking the 50th anniversary of the Western Monroe Historical SocietyPosted 2 weeks ago
- Hilton Firemen’s Carnival changes dates, expands for 2015Posted 2 weeks ago
- C-C student receives local VFW Patriot’s Pen awardPosted 2 weeks ago
- Take a class – “Catch the Gardening Bug” series begins March 25Posted 4 weeks ago
- “Garden Talk” focuses on new plants for 2015Posted 1 month ago
- New High School Equivalency test availablePosted 2 months ago
- GCC offers tax filing helpPosted 2 months ago
- Applications for Preservation League’s Signature Grant Programs due by April 13Posted 2 months ago
Brockport Rotary supports Cool Kids program
Brockport Rotary Club president John Egan (left) presents Steve Appleton, creator of the magical and unique “Cool Kids” program with a club banner. Since the Club has many new members, Appleton updated the group on the history, mission and accomplishments of the program.
Cool Kids seeks to entertain and educate children (from 2 to 91) while delivering messages on environmental awareness, consideration of others and world peace. It actively gets kids (and parents) involved in recycling activities like collecting old sneakers and electronics to constructing the world’s longest peace chain. Appleton juggles many balls to keep the program attractive and effective. However, programs cost, so Appleton continually seeks donations and grants to support the program’s continuation.
Gary the Happy Pirate, Family Yoga Night and all of the other summer Friday night attractions need financial support. Appleton, a creative and effective “Pied Piper,” works hard behind the scenes. Recipient of many honors, including Brockport Rotary’s own Citizen of the Year Award, the program and its creator continually seek to be relevant to a changing world and its problems. Since 1999, the program has locally been under the umbrella of BISCO, which also has as its primary mission projects for the young. It is one of the projects which the Brockport Arts Festival (August 9-10) helps support.
Provided information and photo