- “Spring Ahead” and check lifesaving smoke and CO alarmsPosted 5 hours ago
- Spencerport Board of Education unanimous in approval of Urban-Suburban program participationPosted 3 days ago
- Take a class – “Catch the Gardening Bug” series begins March 25Posted 3 days ago
- Parma studies solar possibilitiesPosted 1 week ago
- March Madness returns to Churchville-ChiliPosted 1 week ago
- “Garden Talk” focuses on new plants for 2015Posted 2 weeks ago
- Be a creative part of the Hilton Apple Fest traditionPosted 3 weeks ago
- New High School Equivalency test availablePosted 3 weeks ago
- GCC offers tax filing helpPosted 1 month ago
- Applications for Preservation League’s Signature Grant Programs due by April 13Posted 1 month ago
Discover Pinta and Nina in Rochester
On Tuesday, July 29, the Pinta and the Nina, replicas of Columbus’ ships will open in Rochester. The ships will be docked at the Port Authority, 1000 North River Street until their departure early Monday morning August 4.
The Nina was built completely by hand and without the use of power tools. “Archaeology” magazine called the ship “the most historically correct Columbus replica ever built.” The Pinta was built to Brazil to accompany the Nina on all of her travels. She is a larger version of the archetypal caravel. Historians consider the caravel the Space Shuttle of the fifteenth century.
Both ships will be touring together as an enhanced ‘sailing museum,’ for the purpose of educating the public and school children on the caravel, a Portuguese ship used by Columbus and many early explorers to discover the world.
While in port, the general public is invited to visit the ships for a walk aboard self-guided tour. The prices are $8 for adults, $7 for senior citizens and $6 for students 5 to 16. Children 4 and under are free. The ship will be open every day from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. No reservations necessary.
Teachers or organizations wishing to schedule a 30-minute guided tour with a crew member can call 1-787-672-2152 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Minimum of 15; $5 per person; no maximum. Visit the website at www.thenina.com for additional information.
Ships arrive on Monday, July 28.