- Westside Challenger Baseball closes out its 4th season with Award Ceremony and PicnicPosted 2 days ago
- 2014 Canal Days Special SectionPosted 2 days ago
- Hilton’s Schwind living the dreamPosted 1 week ago
- State appeals court dismisses Monroe County Fair neighbors’ lawsuitPosted 1 week ago
- Discover Pinta and Nina in RochesterPosted 1 week ago
- Margaret A. McGrath Charitable Foundation awards $63,500 in scholarshipsPosted 2 weeks ago
- 115 Years of Hilton High School graduationsPosted 3 weeks ago
- Monroe County Fair returns to Northampton ParkPosted 1 month ago
- Gardens with Japanese elementsPosted 2 months ago
- 2014 Summer GuidePosted 2 months ago
Spencerport hits $1 million mark for Relay for Life
The Westside Relay for Life, held annually at Spencerport High School, will reach a major milestone at this year’s June 6 event as the volunteer planning committee expects to surpass the $1 million mark in cumulative funds raised since the event’s inception in 2000. The community-based event has brought friends and neighbors each year to honor cancer survivors, their caregivers, and to pay tribute to those for whom the cure did not come soon enough.
Funds raised through Relay for Life events throughout the United States, and internationally, help support important programs offered in local communities as well as fund important cancer research.
Last year, researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center were awarded more than $2 million in grants to help improve cancer care, according to the American Cancer Society.
The American Cancer Society Westside Relay For Life at Spencerport is an overnight celebration where people take turns walking, running or otherwise circling around a track “relay” style to raise funds to fight cancer. One of the many highlights of the event is the luminaria ceremony, or candlelight vigil, held at nightfall to honor cancer survivors, caregivers and to remember those lost to cancer.
This year, the Westside communities will come together on June 6 at 6 p.m. and stay through 6 a.m. the following morning to celebrate another year together and an incredible accomplishment of raising awareness in the community. The event takes place at the Spencerport High School Football Stadium, 2707 Spencerport Road. The event kicks off at 7 p.m. with a special Survivors Lap, a moving experience honoring those who have defeated cancer. Survivors will join together to walk the opening lap, unified in victory and hope, while the rest of the event’s participants surround the track to cheer them on. To join the event contact Anne at 585-224-4941 or Anne.Tatarsky@cancer.org. For information about participating or volunteering for the Westside Relay for Life at Spencerport visit the website atwww.relayforlife.org/spencerportny.