- Gillett Road bridge over Erie Canal in Ogden now restricted to eight tonsPosted 7 days ago
- New York State Silver Gloves Boxing Tournament coming to RochesterPosted 7 days ago
- Christmas on the Canal celebrates 19 years with December 7 eventPosted 7 days ago
- Spencerport Community Chorus performs Holiday ConcertPosted 7 days ago
- CCHS named to national Blue Star School Top 100 BestPosted 2 weeks ago
- Hilton High School students to perform “The Sound of Music”Posted 2 weeks ago
- Kendall girls capture crown in OTPosted 2 weeks ago
Holley Central receives Carol White PEP grant
The Holley Central School District has been awarded $441,000 in the first year of a multi-year federal grant called the Carol White Physical Education (PEP) grant. This grant promotes both physical fitness and nutrition. Monies provided by the grant will enable the district to focus on after school, Saturday, and summer recreation and nutrition-based activities involving partnerships with the Holley Recreation Program, the Orleans County Cooperative Extension, Orleans County Mental Health and the district’s own food service vendor, Personal Touch.
This is the second time Holley Central has been awarded the PEP grant. The last time was in 2003 when the district received $392,000 for its “Holley Achieves Wellness and Knowledge” initiative which focused on fitness and life-time activities.
Holley schools also recently received a three-year General Mills grant which helped the district fund a new fitness test called the Fitnessgram. This test will help the district fulfill the evaluation phase of the Pep Grant.
Once the PEP money is received later this year, the district will begin to implement programs outlined in its application program which was entitled “Fit 4U.” The “Fit 4 U” program will serve approximately 1,200 students in Pre-K to grade 12 for up to three years. Program will take place at Holley Elementary School and the Middle School/High School and will focus on increasing students’ daily activity as well as their consumption of fruits and vegetables.