- Gillett Road bridge over Erie Canal in Ogden now restricted to eight tonsPosted 5 days ago
- Brockport fundraiser organized for Pierson familyPosted 5 days ago
- New York State Silver Gloves Boxing Tournament coming to RochesterPosted 5 days ago
- Christmas on the Canal celebrates 19 years with December 7 eventPosted 5 days ago
- Spencerport Community Chorus performs Holiday ConcertPosted 5 days ago
- CCHS named to national Blue Star School Top 100 BestPosted 2 weeks ago
- Hilton High School students to perform “The Sound of Music”Posted 2 weeks ago
- Kendall girls capture crown in OTPosted 2 weeks ago
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES students plant trees at Arbor Day ceremony
Students from the Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES Work Study Program and heavy equipment and building trades programs came together to commemorate Arbor Day on April 25.
Dozens of students from special education and career and technical education programs worked with Operations and Maintenance and instructional staff to plan the event and plant the trees. The students planted six pear trees on the grounds of the Richard E. Ten Haken Educational Services Center. Five of the trees were planted along the eastside of the building and one was near the northwestern corner in the Dr. Michael C. O’Laughlin garden.
District Superintendent JoAnne Antonacci spoke briefly before the planting of the tree in the garden. Antonacci touched on the significance of Arbor Day and thanked the students and staff for their work. She also thanked Cobble Creek Nursery and Sara’s Garden and Nursery for their donations of the trees.
Three students read a poem before the planting of the tree – Kevin Avery, a 12th-grader from Holley in the heavy equipment program; Jeffrey VanOrden, a ninth-grader from Holley in the building trades program; and Michael Cringoli, a student from Hilton in the Work Study Program.
After the tree planting, students and staff signed a poster commemorating the event. The poster will be displayed in the WEMOCO building on campus along with a photo from the tree planting.
Provided information and photo