- Candlelight Christmas Holiday Show at Morgan Manning House Dec. 5 & 6Posted 1 day ago
- Celebrate Agriculture dinner tickets on salePosted 1 day ago
- Boy Scouts launch toy collectionPosted 1 day ago
- 2014 Home for the HolidaysPosted 1 day ago
- Gillett Road bridge over Erie Canal in Ogden now restricted to eight tonsPosted 1 week ago
- New York State Silver Gloves Boxing Tournament coming to RochesterPosted 1 week ago
- Christmas on the Canal celebrates 19 years with December 7 eventPosted 1 week ago
- Spencerport Community Chorus performs Holiday ConcertPosted 1 week ago
- CCHS named to national Blue Star School Top 100 BestPosted 2 weeks ago
- Hilton High School students to perform “The Sound of Music”Posted 2 weeks ago
SHS Jazz Ensemble wins national contest
Records with former American Idol contestant
The Spencerport High School Jazz Ensemble has won a national contest to record with former American Idol Shaun Canon on his next album.
The Hop, Skip and a Jump contest required entrants from across the country to submit a performance video last fall, which were then reviewed by a panel of judges including Canon and Jason Scheff, lead singer of the world famous band Chicago. In January, Spencerport Director of Bands John Viavattine was notified that his students won the recording session.
Nominated for an Emmy for his music video Army of Kings, Canon performed as a top contestant on American Idol, Season 7. Recently, he performed on Millionaire Matchmaker (Bravo!), placed a song in Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime) and performed in an L.A. rock band for Sony Records. As he continues to achieve, he opens for such major acts as Brian McKnight and Janelle Monae. His current focus has also involved advocating for music education. Thus far, he has raised over $100,000 for music programs in schools.
Canon was to be in Spencerport rehearsing with the jazz ensemble on May 1. Following the rehearsal, the SHS Jazz Ensemble traveled to Linden Oaks Recording Studio in Penfield to record the song “All The Day Long,” written by Canon.