- Genesee Country Village & Museum 2017 event calendarPosted 52 mins ago
- Buy and sell at the Hilton Community Indoor Flea MarketPosted 55 mins ago
- Save the date for Kendall’s “Community Read” eventPosted 1 hour ago
- Brockport, Byron-Bergen win Section V wrestling titlesPosted 1 week ago
- Resurfacing of Lake Ontario State Parkway planned for this summerPosted 2 weeks ago
- GCC time capsule seeking submissionsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Rangers hockey wins third straightPosted 2 weeks ago
- Gates Chili Chamber to hold State of the TownsPosted 3 weeks ago
SHS Jazz Ensemble wins national contest
Records with former American Idol contestant
The Spencerport High School Jazz Ensemble has won a national contest to record with former American Idol Shaun Canon on his next album.
The Hop, Skip and a Jump contest required entrants from across the country to submit a performance video last fall, which were then reviewed by a panel of judges including Canon and Jason Scheff, lead singer of the world famous band Chicago. In January, Spencerport Director of Bands John Viavattine was notified that his students won the recording session.
Nominated for an Emmy for his music video Army of Kings, Canon performed as a top contestant on American Idol, Season 7. Recently, he performed on Millionaire Matchmaker (Bravo!), placed a song in Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime) and performed in an L.A. rock band for Sony Records. As he continues to achieve, he opens for such major acts as Brian McKnight and Janelle Monae. His current focus has also involved advocating for music education. Thus far, he has raised over $100,000 for music programs in schools.
Canon was to be in Spencerport rehearsing with the jazz ensemble on May 1. Following the rehearsal, the SHS Jazz Ensemble traveled to Linden Oaks Recording Studio in Penfield to record the song “All The Day Long,” written by Canon.