- Those Autumn Leaves – an organic goldminePosted 4 days ago
- Brockport Symphony Orchestra presents annual Holiday Pops ConcertPosted 4 days ago
- Genesee Community College receives grant for student veteransPosted 4 days ago
- 2016 Home for the HolidaysPosted 2 weeks ago
- 2016 Holiday LinkPosted 3 weeks ago
- Online Photo ContestPosted 3 weeks ago
- TOPS honors U.S. veterans and active militaryPosted 4 weeks ago
Hilton girl named to “20 Under 20” list
Rochester School for the Deaf sixth-grade student Emma Doughty, 12, of Hilton, is an inaugural recipient of a “20 Under 20” honor presented by Rochester & Genesee Valley Parent magazine. Honors were bestowed on 20 children and teens age 6 to 19 the evening of Thursday, May 21, in the Star Theater of the Strasenburgh Planetarium, on the campus of the Rochester Museum and Science Center, in the city of Rochester.
Emma’s “20 Under 20” recognition was in the Athletics category, and Erin DiCaro, coach of the Spencerport-Greece Marlins Swimming Team, nominated her for the honor. Emma is also the youngest member of the U.S. Deaf Swim Team. She recently competed in the Deaf International Short Course Swimming Championships where she broke three United States Deaf Swimming records and earned 12 medals.
At the ceremony for “20 Under 20” honorees, emcee John Kucko, WROC-TV News 8 Sports Director said, “Emma embraces challenges because she understands the connection between effort and achievement.”
Judges who selected Emma for her honor said, “Learning about Emma and her successes makes us smile. I am sure we will continue to see Emma’s name in the news as she continues to triumph, in and out of the pool. Her future looks as bright as the shiny medals she will continue to win.”