- “Out of the Ashes” – Marking the 50th anniversary of the Western Monroe Historical SocietyPosted 2 weeks ago
- Hilton Firemen’s Carnival changes dates, expands for 2015Posted 2 weeks ago
- C-C student receives local VFW Patriot’s Pen awardPosted 2 weeks ago
- Take a class – “Catch the Gardening Bug” series begins March 25Posted 4 weeks ago
- “Garden Talk” focuses on new plants for 2015Posted 1 month ago
- New High School Equivalency test availablePosted 2 months ago
- GCC offers tax filing helpPosted 2 months ago
- Applications for Preservation League’s Signature Grant Programs due by April 13Posted 2 months ago
Cadets ride Sile to second round
Hilton scored six of their eight runs with two outs, including a bases-clearing triple by Taylor Sile, on their way to an 8-6 Section V softball first round playoff win over Gates Chili.
The Spartans jumped out to a 1-0 lead with an unearned run in the second inning, but the Cadets tied it in their half of the inning. Second baseman Kiera Morgan was hit by a pitch and was pushed to second on a perfect sacrifice bunt by Alex Brisson. Alex Cummins laced a double to right center to bring home Morgan and tie the game 1-1.
Hilton sent ten batters to the plate and exploded for six runs in the bottom of the third to take a 7-1 lead.
Brady Ott led off with a double and advanced to third on a fielder’s choice before scoring on an RBI groundout by Emma Heydens. Hilton rallied with two outs started with a walk to Stephanie Spring, a single from Morgan and a walk to Brisson to load the bases. Cummins ripped an RBI single and Jenna Brown followed with a bases-loaded RBI walk before Sile rocketed her three-RBI triple over the center fielder’s head.
Gates Chili chipped away scoring two runs in the fifth and sixth innings to tighten the Hilton lead to 7-5, but the Cadets plated an insurance run in the sixth.
Ott reached on an infield single and went to second on a fielder’s choice. Heydens knocked Ott in with a two-out RBI single to make it 8-5.
Cummins relieved starting pitcher Sile, who allowed just three earned runs while striking out seven batters, in the seventh inning. She allowed two doubles and a run sandwiched around a pair of fly-outs before ending the game with a strikeout on an off-speed delivery to earn the save.
Hilton improved to 12-8 on the season and advanced to the second round of the Section V playoffs despite leaving 11 runners in scoring position.