- Westside Challenger Baseball closes out its 4th season with Award Ceremony and PicnicPosted 2 days ago
- 2014 Canal Days Special SectionPosted 2 days ago
- Hilton’s Schwind living the dreamPosted 1 week ago
- State appeals court dismisses Monroe County Fair neighbors’ lawsuitPosted 1 week ago
- Discover Pinta and Nina in RochesterPosted 1 week ago
- Margaret A. McGrath Charitable Foundation awards $63,500 in scholarshipsPosted 2 weeks ago
- 115 Years of Hilton High School graduationsPosted 3 weeks ago
- Monroe County Fair returns to Northampton ParkPosted 1 month ago
- Gardens with Japanese elementsPosted 2 months ago
- 2014 Summer GuidePosted 2 months ago
Saints varsity boys win first tennis title
All six Churchville-Chili wins came in straight sets, including sweeping all three doubles matches, as they defeated Brighton 6-1 to win the school’s first boys tennis Section V championship.
The top doubles team of juniors Scott Arilotta and Dan Davis won 6-3, 6-1; seniors Matt Greer and John Iacucci won at second doubles 6-1, 6-3 and senior Zack Wilson with junior Connor O’Neill won a tight third doubles match 6-4, 7-5.
Top singles player Quinn Magiera had little trouble in his 6-2, 6-1 victory as did classmate Patrick Mathews in a 6-3, 6-3 win at third singles. Seventh-grader Ben Davis took his fourth singles match 7-5, 6-2.
Magiera earlier this month became the first Saints tennis player since 2002 to advance to the state qualifying tournament after finishing second in Section V. He won his quarterfinal match before losing in the semi-finals.
The Saints finished a perfect 6-0 in division play to win their fourth consecutive Division II title. They also improved to 12-2 on the season.