- St. Pius X parish rebuilding — literally and spiritually — following firePosted 1 week ago
- Hundreds of American flags to honor service providersPosted 1 week ago
- Entries for Erie Canalway Photo Contest due by August 28Posted 1 week ago
- “Back to School Fun Day” coming August 22Posted 1 week ago
- Walker Brothers Funeral Home to hold annual Butterfly ReleasePosted 2 weeks ago
- Ribbons remind to support CourtneyPosted 2 weeks ago
- Hometown Heroes from near and farPosted 2 weeks ago
- Hunter education courses in HolleyPosted 2 weeks ago
- 2015 Kids Special SectionPosted 3 weeks ago
- Village of Spencerport changes refuse containers policyPosted 3 weeks ago
Saints varsity boys win first tennis title
All six Churchville-Chili wins came in straight sets, including sweeping all three doubles matches, as they defeated Brighton 6-1 to win the school’s first boys tennis Section V championship.
The top doubles team of juniors Scott Arilotta and Dan Davis won 6-3, 6-1; seniors Matt Greer and John Iacucci won at second doubles 6-1, 6-3 and senior Zack Wilson with junior Connor O’Neill won a tight third doubles match 6-4, 7-5.
Top singles player Quinn Magiera had little trouble in his 6-2, 6-1 victory as did classmate Patrick Mathews in a 6-3, 6-3 win at third singles. Seventh-grader Ben Davis took his fourth singles match 7-5, 6-2.
Magiera earlier this month became the first Saints tennis player since 2002 to advance to the state qualifying tournament after finishing second in Section V. He won his quarterfinal match before losing in the semi-finals.
The Saints finished a perfect 6-0 in division play to win their fourth consecutive Division II title. They also improved to 12-2 on the season.