- Let’s Go Fishing! Youth Derby at Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge June 6Posted 2 days ago
- Along the Ridge, new business recalls historic rootsPosted 1 week ago
- Hamlin Recreation recognizedPosted 1 week ago
- Churchville mayor appointed to NYCOM Nominating CommitteePosted 1 week ago
- Food Truck Rodeo May 21 profits C-C Sports BoostersPosted 1 week ago
- 2015 Summer GuidePosted 2 weeks ago
- 2015 Home and GardenPosted 3 weeks ago
Saints varsity boys win first tennis title
All six Churchville-Chili wins came in straight sets, including sweeping all three doubles matches, as they defeated Brighton 6-1 to win the school’s first boys tennis Section V championship.
The top doubles team of juniors Scott Arilotta and Dan Davis won 6-3, 6-1; seniors Matt Greer and John Iacucci won at second doubles 6-1, 6-3 and senior Zack Wilson with junior Connor O’Neill won a tight third doubles match 6-4, 7-5.
Top singles player Quinn Magiera had little trouble in his 6-2, 6-1 victory as did classmate Patrick Mathews in a 6-3, 6-3 win at third singles. Seventh-grader Ben Davis took his fourth singles match 7-5, 6-2.
Magiera earlier this month became the first Saints tennis player since 2002 to advance to the state qualifying tournament after finishing second in Section V. He won his quarterfinal match before losing in the semi-finals.
The Saints finished a perfect 6-0 in division play to win their fourth consecutive Division II title. They also improved to 12-2 on the season.