- Over 100 families assisted in Cartons for Christmas OutreachPosted 5 days ago
- 2015 Winter LinkPosted 5 days ago
- Cadets win second consecutive Barnard TourneyPosted 5 days ago
- Public hearing Feb. 5 on Route 531/Washington Street terminus improvementsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Brockport CSD holds public hearing on Veterans’ Tax Exemption Jan. 27Posted 2 weeks ago
- Artwork from Parma Public Library’s adult art programs on displayPosted 2 weeks ago
- Brockport’s “Evening of Jazz” on Feb. 6Posted 2 weeks ago
- Sweden Town Park outdoor ice rink is openPosted 2 weeks ago
- Can you help solve these mysteries?Posted 2 weeks ago
- Spencerport Area Chamber of Commerce announces 2014 Award WinnersPosted 4 weeks ago
Season Four underway for Westside Challenger Baseball
Nietopski Baseball Field was abuzz on Saturday, May 31 with a record number of 44 players as the Westside Challenger Baseball started their fourth season with a morning filled with plenty of sunshine, fun and smiles.
Challenger Baseball is a division of Little League Baseball that brings together boys and girls ages 5 through 18 who are physically and/or mentally challenged. The games are structured to support the success of all players. Traditional rules are modified and the focus is always on having fun while learning the game of baseball. No score is kept, each player bats every inning, and everyone plays the entire game. Each player is assigned “buddies” who work to ensure safety and success. The Brockport Bisons Baseball teams have volunteered their time to assist as buddies. The enthusiasm and spirit that the Westside Challenger Baseball player brings to the game is very infectious to buddies and fans alike.
The players come from Brockport, Hamlin, Sweden, Clarkson, Holley, Spencerport, Churchville, Greece, Kendall, Bergen, Medina, Honeoye Falls and Chili. Games are played at Nietopski Field at Sweden Town Park, May 31 through July 12 at 9:30 a.m. with exception of Saturday, June 14, when the Westside Challenger Baseball players will travel to Frontier Field and participate in the 22nd Annual Challenger Baseball World Series. After each game, all players, buddies and family members are treated to refreshments and drinks. There is no cost for any player to participate in Westside Challenger Baseball and it is completely financed thanks to the donations by Reliant Community Credit Union, Rochester Press-Radio Club, Brockport Wal-Mart, Brockport Rotary Club, Brockport Lions Club, Brockport Kiwanis Club, Kendall Lions Club, USA Ultimate Sports and Apparel, Sweden Community Foundation, Strong West, Dominos Pizza, Brockport Police Stetson Club, Ferris-Goodridge Auxiliary and many individual donors.
Stop at Nietopski Field at the Sweden Town Park on a Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. and watch Westside Challenger Baseball.