- Local residents prepare for Tournament of Roses paradePosted 6 days ago
- Brockport Festival of Lights ParadePosted 6 days ago
- Western Monroe Historical Society celebrates its Golden Anniversary in 2015Posted 6 days ago
- New way to dispose of electronic appliancesPosted 2 weeks ago
- Fall college sports honorsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Hilton CSD Athletic Hall of Fame to induct five new members Dec. 29Posted 2 weeks ago
- 2014 Gift GuidePosted 2 weeks ago
- American Red Cross offers free Citizen Preparedness Corps training in OgdenPosted 3 weeks ago
- Celebrate Agriculture dinner tickets on salePosted 4 weeks ago
- 2014 Home for the HolidaysPosted 4 weeks ago
Westside Challenger Baseball closes out its 4th season with Award Ceremony and Picnic
Another season came to an end on Saturday, July 12 for the Westside Challenger Baseball program. After the final game, each player was recognized and presented a Champions Trophy for their outstanding play and sportsmanship this season. The Challenger Baseball players, parents, families and friends were then treated to the end-of-the-season picnic, an annual event.
A record 44 players participated this season at Nietopski Field at the Town of Sweden Park. Children with disabilities, ages 5 to 18, met Saturday mornings during June and July for a game of baseball, fun and camaraderie. Their June 14 game, named the Challenger World Series, was played at Frontier Field. After each game, all players were treated to snacks with their assisting “buddies,” family and friends.
There is never a charge for any family to have their child play Westside Challenger Baseball due to the generous donations of sponsors, Reliant Community Credit Union, Rochester Press-Radio Club, Brockport WalMart, Brockport Lions Club, Brockport Rotary Club, Brockport Kiwanis Club, Kendall Lions Club, Strong West, USA Ultimate Sports and Apparel, Sweden Community Foundation, Ferris-Goodridge Auxiliary, Stetson Club of the Brockport Police Department, Mark Gaisser and Dominos Pizza, Baxter Healthcare and many, many individual donors. These sponsors cover all the costs including uniforms, equipment, field rental, insurance, food and trophies. Westside Challenger Baseball would not exist without the overwhelming commitment of these dedicated sponsors, according to organizers.
Additional help and enthusiasm comes from players and coaches of the Brockport Bisons Baseball who served as “buddies.” Special thanks to Tony Parrino, Joe, Pam and Jill Setak, Charlie Hage, Bob and Colby Jones, Cortlandt Fowler, Lysa Hoyt, Mike Knapp, Westside News Inc., Todd Dobson, Roger Evans and Photos by Bruce for their assistance during the season. Game announcers Kerri Noyes and Karen Zyra along with coaches Darrin Zyra, Steve Noyes, Kate Jacobs and Mike Myers kept things moving as the players batted and played in the field.
Founding organizers, Jack and Bev Milner, Mike and Susan Myers and Wayne and Marge Zyra, are already working on plans for next season so that all area children with disabilities have an opportunity to enjoy the great game of baseball.
Provided information and photos