Kendall silences fighting Irish

By on October 7, 2019

Senior Katie Pearson, junior Brianna Wakefield, and sophomore Aleyza Brown each scored two goals as Kendall built an 8-0 first half lead on their way to a 9-0 shutout of Batavia Notre Dame in a girls soccer game played at Jurh’s Field.

Brown netted the first two goals of the game with the first sliding inside the left post at 9:22 after a perfect through-pass from junior Lizzy Woodams. The second was the result of a 40-yard rush from the defensive zone by senior Hailee Mitchell before she found Brown in the box with a pass at 11:01.

Just 20 seconds later, Woodams converted a pass from the left wing from sophomore Grace Levett to make it 3-0 Eagles.

Pearson scored her first varsity goal at 18:41 on the rebound of a blocked shot taken by Wakefield, who made it 5-0 six minutes later on a long shot that deflected in off the goalkeeper’s hands.

Woodhams found Pearson with a cross from the left wing for her second goal of the game at 36:32 and sparked a three-goal outburst over a 1:52 span.

Levett converted a cross from junior Madison Jacob at 37:36 to make it 7-0 Kendall and Wakefield put her 35-yard kick just under the crossbar 48 seconds later for an 8-0 halftime lead.

The Eagles finished the scoring 11 minutes into the second half when sophomore Julia Coble, who was moved up front from her normal defensive position, scored her first varsity goal off the goalkeeper and inside the right post.

“I haven’t seen this attacking presence in this team in a while, so it’s good to see them come together,” Kendall head coach Pam Barchet said. “Last year we came together at the right time so I’m glad to see them come together now. It was good to see them be versatile (playing different positions) and be creative.”

The defending state champion Eagles are now 9-1 overall with the only blemish a 3-2 loss to Wheatland-Chili.

“We knew Wheatland-Chili was going to be a tough game and we didn’t have our best night,” Barchet summarized. 

Kendall sophomore goalkeeper Kailie Regan was called on for only two saves in registering the shutout.